Lucida Discolor

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Jmatson1, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jmatson1

Jmatson1 Member

My jewel orchid leaves are beginning to change from the purpleish green with white veins to a pinkish rose color with fading white veins.It is currently blooming (30 spikes) Help! What is happening to my beautiful plant?

2. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Do you have pictures? Has there been any changes in the growing area (temperature change, light, water, etc)? I don't grow these, so I can't really help. Hopefully there will be others who can.

Btw, your plant is a Ludisia discolor, and you might find more help in the 'Orchid' section of this site. This site has so many different sections, that a thread can get 'lost' if not posted in the 'right' area. Not to critisize - just trying to help.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

30 spikes??? Wow! I thought I was doing well with 3 on mine (currently blooming)! Please post a photo! It must indeed be beautiful.

I am assuming that the leaves in question are bottom leaves...? They do change color before they drop off, or are trimmed off.

How long have you had the plant?
    The usual suspects: light; moisture; temperature; bugs. Any changes in these of late?

4. Jmatson1

Jmatson1 Member

Pictures attached. The plant is beautiful thus my concern. This is the first time this has happened.

Attached Files:

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

This bleaching can be caused by too much light. Barring other causes, that would be my guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
  6. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Re: Ludisia discolor

Congratulations on 30 stems of flowers. :) When a plant is pumping out that much quick energy it will often have to rob from the leaves to make it happen (blooming/reproduction is the priority at all costs). Perhaps your plant is just reaching a point where it is growing/blooming faster than it can pull nutrients and water out of it's soil, which may be partially depleted in relation the plant's needs.
    I would wait until it is done blooming and then consider repotting. Meantime, make sure not to miss any schedluled fertilizing. I assume if you have 30 blooms that you already know it tolerates a slightly more terrestrial-type mix with a little more nutrients than most orchids?
    You could also cull some or all of the blooms if you are really worried about the leaves.

7. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Re: Ludisia discolor

Sounds like the plant is going into a resting period. This normally occurs at the end of flowering. You may want to make sure that the mix has not broken down, if so then avoid overwatering but maintain proper humidity. As Tom states you can prune back on the flower stalks especially if any of the stems start feeling soft and not firm. If soft then you probably have an issue with root loss which would make the absorption of water critical in maintaining stem and leaf health.