lower stem rot on my propagated basil plants

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by sir grow a lot, Sep 14, 2008.

1. sir grow a lot

sir grow a lot Member

hello fellow gardners,

i took several cuttings off my main basil plants several weeks back and propagated then in a solution of water, sugar, and some vitamin B. In about a week the roots were ample, so i decided to move them to pots. Now I noticed that some of them, on the main stem about a cm above the soil (and also below when i dig a big deeper) is turning brown as if it's dying. but after that rot the stem seems healthy except for small white patches of what looks like a condensed spider web. other than that the plant looks healthy, but its growth is very slow.

anyone know what is causing this?
    thanks.

pics:
    http://imgs.knight47.com/users/public/v76470914080220h93.jpg
    this the part that looks like it is dying.

http://imgs.knight47.com/users/public/q66670914080222o93.jpg
    this is the top half of the stem, where the stem is green.

edit: this place doesn't support the image tag?! it's a botany forum!! and no similes too :0

2. sir grow a lot

sir grow a lot Member

any help here?

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Stem rot in young plants is normaly caused by either the fungus Rhizoctonia (damping off), or the fungus Sclerotinia sclerotiorum (stem rot). You can look them both up on the Internet. These fungi can be eliminated, or greatly reduced, by use of sterile containers and growth medium, a fungicide, or to a great extent by simply watering all new young plants early in the morning, and then placing the container in the sun so the surface of the soil quickly dries. Both fungi require moisture to propagate. - Millet

4. sir grow a lot

sir grow a lot Member

so is it possible to undo the damage done to the plant or is it too late?

thanks for the help.