Lotus Bamboo

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Plant Newbie, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

2. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

Roanna,
    these plants aren't actually bamboos. They are just called that because of the stem characteristic that superficially resembles bamboo. They are species of Dracaena, "Dragon Plants", smaller relatives of the plants commonly used probably worldwide in interiorscape called "Corn Plants".

Dracaena root extremely easily in soil or water, which makes the "Lucky Bamboo" very easy to propagate and grow hydroponically.

True bamboos are grasses, a different species of plant altogether.

That "lotus" form of the "Lucky Bamboo" is very beautiful.

3. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Lucky Bamboo is actually Dracaena sanderiana.
    You would of had success with them growing in soil, because that is where they are meant to grow. If you do a search on this forum you will find many a thread about them. Most people continue to grow them in water, and IMHO that is why they continue to cause themselves heartbreak!! You look on any forum that has a lucky bamboo section and you will continually see titles like "Lucky bamboo leaves turning yellow", "Lucky bamboo leaf drop", "Lucky bamboo dying". Before I get bombarded, i like these plants, but, like I said, if you have had success with them in soil, save yourself the heartache and grow them in soil...

Good luck

Ed

PS Corn plants (D. fragrans massangeanra) I think is more of a US/Canada common name. Over here in Australia we call them "Happy plants" (which I like lol) and in Phillipines they call them "Lucky Plants" ( I think?).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  4. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

Thanks, Ed. I don't grow and of these myself, a have a couple of D. marginata buthave never succumbed to the "lure" of corn plants, scheffelera, rubber plants and the like for houseplants. I think that the Lucky Bamboo can be a challenge to grow in water long term, but it can definitely be done if you pay attention to the principles of hydroponic growing (which I also know nothing about LOL), but I have a friend who does some hydroponics, and she has grown some of these in a set up long term, and they have thrived for her and look lovely. They are pretty huge too. You have to pay attention to the lighting and the nutrients that are added to the water.

I think most people who buy one at the store in its little glass vase full of water think that because it was sold that way, it can live that way with very little care forever, and that just isn't true, if you are going to keep it in water and not eventually plant it you have to pay attention to be certain all its needs are getting met as a hydroponic plant.

A visit to a website or forum devoted tothat subject could probably offer a lot of insight.

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I have read before that the "lotus bamboo" is actually a Dracaena compacta and likes a little more light than the "lucky bamboo" Dracaena sanderiana.

6. edleigh7

How stupid of me!! I thought it looked a bit different. Maybe even D. compacta "Janet Craig". You've got a keen eye, Bluewing!!

Ed

7. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

Thanks for the info everyone, still wondering where I can find one in Toronto though :(

8. Bluewing

Yep, I took a look and the leaves on the "lotus bamboo" and they do look just like my rooted D. compacta "Janet Craig". I have to wonder what the next "species" of Dracaena will be that will bring us all good fortune! Lol.

You might be able to find the lotus bamboo online where any houseplants are sold, or possibly possibly find some ebay if you can't find any where you live. I'm sure the box stores will be carrying them soon, if they aren't already.

Good luck finding one!

9. edleigh7

Exactly Bluewing!!

I was lucky enough to find someone who has Dracaena goldieana today, I am so excited!!

Ed

10. Bluewing

That's great Ed that you found that dracaena! It's a rerally nice one too! Hmm, maybe that one will be the worlds next lucky fortune???

11. edleigh7

Never know you're luck in a big city mate!! lol

Ed

12. Rai

Rai New Member

Been following this old thread. (I’m new to the forum and this is my first post) I’m looking to purchase lotus bamboo for my aquarium. I need 12” stalks but the shortest I can find online is 16”. If I were to cut off the bottom of the stalk (which removes the roots) could I create conditions where it would it regain its roots and be sustainable?

13. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't know lotus bamboo, but it was mentioned here that this is a dracaena, which generally root easily, though maybe not 100% successfully, but some stalks should root. But they're not going to stay at 12 inches, are they? Well, I see one site that says that's the usual height. I would do shorter cuttings, more like six inches.

14. Rai

Rai New Member

Mahalo, wcutler. I will need keep the cut to 12" so the leaf rosette will be above water. I will use rooting hormone to encourage growth and hope for the best. As this Dracaena variety prefers 2” water depth, I expect to rotate them from aquarium regularly to keep them healthy. The fish waste worksI will post results.