Lots of plants that need names...

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Artemis12, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

updated

2. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

updated

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. Stachys ? 8. Clematis paniculata syn. C. ternifolia ? 12. Rhus glabra ? native here 36. Skimmia japonica ?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  4. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

chimera:
    6 might very well be Stachys species...I need to get a better picture up of this plant.
    8 could very well be Clematis paniculata or virginiana- I have no way of knowing for sure so I went for what appeared to be the more commonly known variety. I know the plant was purchased locally and flowers almost into November on a sunny site with mild weather.
    12. Rhus typhina or glabra...what to do what to do!
    36. Skimmia japonica ...I think thats probably correct...

But now I have an issue on labelling in general- most of the id-ing is based on a visual and very often I have several close matches to choose from. I'm wondering if it's better to simply list the main plant alone (genus ?) or, list them by genus/species,species with the first possible species being the native one and the second as alternate...some photos don't properly reflect the real plant- like the Rhus (12) photo was taken in the early morning and thus has abnormally warm colouring...

Apologies for not getting back to this thread sooner- life got a bit busy and the main forum I'm involved with (digital theft rip-offs on fogeign/english language sites) is at the height of it's activity which slowed me down here a lot.Still, the list is something like 2/3 done...:)

5. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Artemis, Considering the few remaining IDs needed or any you're not comfortable with, think it would encourage more participation by members and be easiest if you could post new threads with attachments as referred to in Daniels sticky at the top of the "Plant ID Forum". There is also a sticky there to help with attachments if needed. With #8 Clematis , your pic of the leaves appear different than C. virginiana shown here www.missouriplants.com/Whiteopp/Clematis_virginiana_page.html Nice to see a pic of the leaves with the flower. Maybe some with a questionable ID can be corrected by forum members more familiar with the plant.. Quite an undertaking, hope it goes well.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  6. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

chimera: I will do that- thanks for the suggestions!

7. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

35 Oxeye Daisy (Chrysanthemum leucanthemum)

8. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

updated for those who are curious ;)

9. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

update: 18. and 19. are Apium petroselinum L - Parsley

10. Artemis12

Artemis12 Active Member

Hi all!
    Seems I can't edit the original post anymore- apologies for letting this thread sit so long and for the way I initially set it up.
    I just wanted to say that I'm well on my way to identifying the majority of of plant photos that I'm posting on my web site and it was mostly from the response I got here that I got as far as I did - and now continue to do so. In hind site I should have done my web pages first and linked to those pictures instead of the odd jumble of pictures that resulted from linking to photobucket.
    If the admins don't mind, I will include a link to this site in my links page. :)