Lots of info given re: "Stellar Pink" 7 yr. old Rutger's hybrid not blooming

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by dsumma, May 23, 2006.

1. dsumma

dsumma Member

Hello Folks,

I'm new here and hope someone may be able to answer this ? I wrote to the hybridizer but didn't get a reply.

I'm in zone 5, CT. My tree was in bloom when I planted it about 7 years ago but hasn't bloomed since. It's growing and appears healthy. It got several hours of daylight and some sun in early spring before the nearby trees leafed out and then it's pretty much just light under maples. The soil is amended clay but generally acidic soil, well draining and over the years has been tended well. FYI, my Andromeda and Rhodies, in the same area don't exactly bloom proflically either, but they do bloom.

Any idea what the problem could be? Does it need more sun? Different soil? The tree is on the west side of the house so doesn't get any hot afternoon sun. It's iin filtered light and shade by the fence, trees and other homes.

Thanks very much,
    Diane

2. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

If you look over the other threads posted in this forum, you'll see that this is a common problem. I think its generally agreed that most dogwoods will bloom heavier in a sunny location. Also, you might want to do a soil test to see if fertilizer may be needed. Mostly, though you might just need a lot of patience. I had a similar problem with my Stellar Pink planted in a similar situation - no blooms for many years after planting. Finally, last year - a few blooms. This year - more blooms. So I think that often these trees need quite a while to settle in, establish their root system, etc. Also, be aware that if you have, in the past, treated the area near the tree with fertilizers containing a relatively high concentration of nitrogen, you may be seeing top growth at the expense of bloom.

Hang in there.