loquat tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by amogles, Nov 6, 2007.

1. amogles

amogles Member

I have a loquat tree in a container in my appartment.

I can't remember exactly when I planted it but it is at least 15 years old and possibly coming up for 20.

I have pruned the tree several times as it otherwise grows unsightly and scrapes the ceiling.

However, my pruning has mostly consisted of cutting off the extremities of branches. Is there a more correct way of cutting a captive tree?

Also, is there any chance of this tree ever bearing fruit?

I also tried putting it in a larger container once. The present one is awfully small. But removing the tree, I was surprised that besides a couple of hair roots at the bottom, I couldn't see any roots at all. I put it back and gave the bigger container to another plant that needed it more. Is this lack of root nomal?

Further questions:

Are loquats winter-tight. Can I plant it out in a garden in Germany?

I also have another one that I planted in the garden of my Dad's holiday home in Spain. Many people here have them in their gardens and occasionally you also see them in orchards, normally just as single rows to separate citrus patches. How long will I have to wait for this tree to bloom. The tree is about 10 years old but still small as it was in a container until about three years ago. I'm a bit disappointed it's not growing any faster. Because I thought it looked nice, I planted it at the foot of a rockery. Was this a mistake?

I've tried to plant more from seed but none have germinated in recent years. Was I lucky in the past or am I unlucky now?

Do loquats grow true to type from seed or should I be looking into grafting?