Lopsided root ball on dracaena massangeana aka corn plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by claudinam, Apr 30, 2007.

1. claudinam

claudinam Member

Hi,

I just finished repotting my dracaena massangeana. The main reason for wanting to repot it is because it was not sitting in the middle of the pot (there was another stem in the same pot at one time, but removed because it died). Problem is, when I took the plant out the rootball was not even all around -- it is much smaller on one side (the side of the stem that was closer to the edge of the pot) so of course even though I repotted it is still not sitting in the middle! All that work and fear of doing it wrong and I didn't even achieve what I was trying to! Can I remove one side of the root ball to make it even all around? How do I go about doing this properly?

Thanks!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yeah, just chop away the extra. Kept moist afterward it shouldn't care.

3. claudinam

claudinam Member

Really? Just chop away the extra, even the big healthy roots? Everything I've read about repotting said to be extra careful not to disturb the roots, and to cut away only black/diseased roots. I just want to make sure I don't end up hurting the plant.