looking to buy Arbutus seedlings- for my wedding!

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by seaangel, Dec 1, 2006.

1. seaangel

seaangel Member

I am hoping to give away seedlings as part of my wedding favours and i was hoping someone might know where to get some. (Or any native seedlings- they're hard to find!)

I wanted to do a few varieties instead of just one kind, so any suggestions for the Lower mainland would be appreciated. Preferably ones that look ok as seedlings- they will be the centrepieces!
    Thanks

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: looking to buy seedlings- for my wedding!

Just to confirm - Arbutus seedlings?

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

talk to NATS Nursery, in aldergrove, or Peel's nursery in Pitt Meadows. They should be able to provide you with a good list of seedlings from native plant material.

4. seaangel

seaangel Member

Yes, i want arbutus seedlings, if it's possible. I love arbutus' and would love to share them!

crazy yes, but normal's boring

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

While the idea is a cool one, I'll sadly throw the cold water of practicality on it - we're trying to gather somewhere near a thousand seedlings for our new garry oak woodland and meadow garden here at UBC. Of those thousand, we hope a hundred or so will survive for eventual planting. We're hoping for a 33% survival rate every time the roots are disturbed (from seedling to larger containers to ground).

6. seaangel

seaangel Member

*pout*
    That just sucks. They're more exciting than spruce- that seems to be all I can find.

hmmmm - any other- easier to transplant- thoughts?

7. Daniel Mosquin

I'll put this in the Woody Plants forum and see if it generates thoughts from others.

8. PenderPalms

PenderPalms Member

I would give Palm tree (Trachycarpus fortunei) seedlings if you want to be different. They are great growers for the PNW.

9. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I would repeat another's suggestion...Nat's Nursery in Langley does a great job with native seedlings, often available in 4in. or even smaller plugs. They don't really deal in retail, but might either sell thru a convenient retailer or work something else out perhaps?

Linnaea Nursery had some nice little arbutus at the trade show in Sept, you might inquire there as well. Contact info is available thru canadanursery.com