Looking for Sitka mountain-ash seeds

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Ivanque, Nov 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Ivanque

Ivanque New Member

Hello,

I am looking for 20 to 50 seeds of sorbus sitchensis from apples harvested this year. I want to seed and grow these on my property in Montreal area, Quebec. Surely, will pay for delivery and, if necessary, some modest fee.

I will also appreciate any web links to reliable BC nurseries that sell seeds of this tree online with Canada-wide delivery.

Regards, I

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You know of indications this western species will grow in eastern Canada? Because otherwise western North American native plants often do not succeed when tried back there. Otherwise try a web search for "sorbus sitchensis price" and see if you get anything. Keeping in mind that you may have to try small plants if seeds do not happen to be available. With it often being the case that the commercial selection of woody plant seeds in particular is comparatively limited. And varies from one year to the next.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    i agree — I would be surprised they survive back in Central Canada Quebec

@Ron B — what are the very common 30 foot deciduous tree mtn ash we have here Coastal BC nr Vancouver

the birds seem to like the red-orange berries … some old timers say the birds « get drunk » on them — legend perhaps

the trees drop lots of berries and make a mess on paved driveway and patios (mess = if one is a garden neat and tidy person … we let the autumn rains wash away the mtn ash berries and bear scat from certain areas of garden)

4. Ivanque

Ivanque New Member

Hello,

Thanks for sharing. I do not know any indication of this particular specie being cultivated in surrounding area. If I would, most probably, I would try source seeds from there. But at the same time accordingly to botanical description, specifically distribution, it doesn't look like very demanding plant. Wind protected hardiness zone 5, this is what I have as an offer. You are right, I have found some seedlings for sale, but it is slightly differs from what I am trying to do - to grow tree from seed with no replanting/pruning disturbance.

Sorbus is pretty tough genus, form Georgia's post, we can speculate that there were some old timers surprised by appearance of rowan around them.

I am looking for some happy owner of this ornamental tree(Sitka mountain-ash) as I expect it to be pretty common in BC yards. And, who knows, all of a sudden, this person wouldn't be against sharing a little bit of her or his happiness.

Regards, I

5. Ron B

The tree habit, lowland-dwelling wild-living Sorbus at the latitude of Vancouver is S. aucuparia. With the regionally native species being mountain dwellers that are very consistent about forming multiple similarly sized stems from ground level. In other words they are completely lacking in apical dominance. Otherwise there is a key to them using botanical characteristics in the new edition of the print reference Flora of the Pacific Northwest by Hitchcock & Cronquist.

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Ivanque likes this.
  7. Ron B

To be clear Sitka mountain ash is most decidedly not a tree. And it and other regionally native Sorbus are actually not much seen in local decorative plantings. Otherwise, in addition to trying to find out about eastern climate suitability before putting much into planting this particular species where you are I would recommend learning what the borer situation with this genus is there.

8. Ivanque

Ivanque New Member

That is cleared now . No problem, will still pet and cherish it :) .
    Do not have much to put in yet, but after seeds on hands, I will find some dirt...
    Is there sorbus specialized borer in BC? After quick research situation looks pretty safe with that in Quebec.

9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I have a young Sorbus sitchensis var. sitchensis shrub that I bought a few years ago at a specialty native plant nursery nearby. It has only been flowering and producing berries for the past couple of years and I'm not sure if there are any still left on the tree or on the ground. I'll check tomorrow and let you know. If you are still interested in them, I'd be happy to mail some to you.

Streamside Native Plants

Ivanque likes this.
  10. Ron B

Borers have long limited Sorbus in eastern North America.

11. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello @Ivanque - I'm afraid I found only 5 pomes and 3 seeds. If you want the seeds, please contact me and I'll mail them to you, no charge.

Ivanque likes this.