Looking for nursery rec's for JM in Ontario and zone 4 experiences!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Shauna156, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Shauna156

Shauna156 New Member

Hello everyone,

I've been poking about the forums here hoping I would find a nice list of nursery's recommended for more unusual Japanese and Korean Maple varieties but found that most have dead links. I'm looking specifically for an Acer Sieboldianum kumoi nishiki (hoping that it might fare well in my zone 4b/5a northern Ontario garden--with extra protection of course!).

Any recommendations would be wonderful! I'm especially interested in nurseries that are willing to ship as I'm in the Sudbury, Ontario region--though I'm willing to travel to Toronto region for a lovely tree :)

Oh--last thing! I would love to hear from anyone with experience growing Japanese Maples in zone 4 regions!

Thanks so much for your time!!

Shauna

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Shauna156 likes this.
  3. Anj

Anj New Member

Hi,

The only place in Ontario(and maybe Canada) that I've found that has some semblance of varieties is a nursery called Vineland Nurseries in the Niagara region and I've been searching for a while. They actually have quite a number and I've bought a lot of Japanese Maples from them (They usually come in 1-2 gallon pots and are grafted). But even then, I don't think they have Kumoi Nishiki and I'm not sure if it will survive 4b even if you insulate it well. You might need a unheated greenhouse for the really cold days. Every now and then the Sheridan Nurseries locations at Whitby and Markham get the occasional rarer varieties, and they do have uncommon stuff like Shishigashiras. Be prepared to pay out the butt though, bigger specimens cost a couple hundred. But otherwise it's quite hard to get any cool new varieties north of the border where the US enjoy online retailers with humongous varieties like Mr. Maple. It's just mostly Bloodgood and Emperor 1's in every garden center unfortunately.

Online though, Canadabonsai has some varieties that he ships Canada wide every spring - mostly air layers and cutting propagated specimens for Bonsai. I actually learned about Vinelands from him. I've even looked at importing from the US, but there's some stringent requirements like phytosanitary certification so I don't wouldn't even know how to get started with that.

For Zone 4b, I think the only ones that may survive are Emperor 1, Bloodgood and Fireglow since those are the most hardy that I've found in both heat and cold. You'd want to plant it on the ground and put a ton of mulch so the roots survive. Also, those are the only ones listed on Vertree/Gregory's JM book that are hardy enough to survive colder zones and I agree as well, I have a few and they just thrive wherever I put them. I put them in full sun and they don't get sun burnt even in 35C+ weather. I live in Zone 6b(Toronto proper) though. But there may be some other varieties that can stand the cold as well.

As for the varieties of maples I've bought from Vinelands I got:

Purple Ghost, Katsura, Katsura Hime, Shishigashira, Coral Magic, Beni Maiko, Mikawa Yatsubusa, Red Flash, Phantom Flame, Nakakamado

and I grabbed a beautiful Metasequoia Glyptostroboides 'Gold Rush' along with it.

Let me know if you find any other nurseries because I'd like to check them out as well.

Cheers,

Anj

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    Shauna156 likes this.
  4. Shauna156

Shauna156 New Member

Thanks so much, Derek! I checked out the list but most of the Canadian links are no longer active. That being said, I remember rooting through this forum last year and finding a list that was more recent. Will see what I can find!

I also remember a very long thread that revolved around Japanese Maple's in zone 4. I believe it was a guy from Sweden or Finland?? I will do some digging around today to see if I can resurrect it! I seem to remember that he was an avid collector of JMs and each Spring he would share what made it through the cold and what didn't and how he winterized etc. Like him, I have a very sheltered backyard--its sort of carved out of rock and fills almost entirely with snow every single year in winter like a big bowl-often up to the top of the fence! The snow is such a great insulator. I grow lots of zone 5 and even some zone 6 perennials and plants in my backyard so I'm thinking I have a bit of a microclimate going on back there :) I'm just insanely in love with maples--I have a big sugar maple and some Norway Spruce's but am dying to try my hand at a JM or two... or three... or 4... or maybe more :D

5. Shauna156

Shauna156 New Member

Hi Anj,

Thanks so much for all the awesome info! It's kind of shocking that we don't have anyone in Ontario specializing in Maples and conifers. There's definitely a gap in the market that could really use filling (if only I was independently wealthy and could afford to buy a big lovely property in the South of Ont that I could FILL with conifers and maples to collect and sell :))

As to zone 4b/5a: I have a feeling that I have a bit of a microclimate going on in my backyard. The backyard is basically cut out of the Sudbury rock--its like a giant bowl that fills with snow in the winter sometimes up to the top of the fence and is very protected from the wind. Even my front is quite protected as I have two very large Norway Spruce and a big mature sugar maple that provide a great shield from the cold north winds. So far I haven't had any problem with zone 5 and even a few zone 6 plants so I'm hoping that I might be able to get a Japanese Maple through the winter too! I've read that more than the cold, the issue is cold, drying winter winds which it would be totally protected from in my back yard.

As to the Sieboldianum--I can't remember who recommended the tree to me, but someone did last year! I should have kept track . At any rate, someone mentioned that they are quite hardy and may fare well in zone 4/5 and they're beautiful so thought I would try. I also love the shirasawanum's like full moon which I read are a bit hardier than say a coral bark which I wouldn't even attempt without a lot of experimenting first! :)

What a great tree collection you have btw! so jealous!

Btw--I found a place in Southern Ontario with a great catalogue. I remember hearing about them last year but I hadn't had a chance to go in person yet. I just checked and they do have the tree I'm after on the list, so I will try giving them a call. I have a feeling they do their special ordering in the Spring but fingers crossed. There are some AMAZING goodies on there. Lots of rarer conifers too and a dogwood I've wanted for a while too...

If you head to this link and then click on the link for their 2022 catalogue spreadsheet you can see for yourself!

The Whistling Gardens Garden Centre

Okay, out to the garden I go! Thanks for all the great info and I'll be sure to share if I find any other sellers etc! Have a great weekend :)

Shauna

maf and Anj like this.
  6. Anj

Anj New Member

Just took a look and they have a sizeable variety list as well. Seems quite a few are sold out but I'm definitely going to visit them when I get the chance, thanks for letting me know. Also my mom really likes peonies, and it seems they have quite a collection there. I do have a catalogue for Vinelands this year if you want it, they don't have an online version unfortunately.

Hope you find what you are looking for and I'm rooting for those trees to survive our cold temps.

7. Shauna156

Shauna156 New Member

I would love to check it out if you don't mind sharing! I noticed that they didn't offer it on their website. It definitely makes things easier for me shopping from up here in Sudbury. Easier to plan for the long drive when I know who has what etc.

And the peonies: Ohhh.. I didn't even notice them. I'm a big peony fan too as it happens :D I was all tunnel-visioned on the conifers, maples and dogwoods :) If you do end up checking whistling gardens out, let me know what you think!