Looking for Loofah gourd seeds

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by maxmillan, Jul 29, 2012.

1. maxmillan

maxmillan Member

These are called many other names (Luffa, Loufah, sponge gourd, washrag gourd, etc.)

The older gourds can be made into a loofah. I know it needs 180 days for a gourd to fully mature. I plan to start it indoors and plant it outside in a very exposed southern area and hope for a long hot autumn as Vancouver seem to be getting the last few years.

Is there anyplace in Vancouver or nearby area to get seeds?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. maxmillan

maxmillan Member

I got me some loofah seeds! It's middle of May and I'm in Vancouver. Can I start my seeds now between moist paper towel? Once they sprout I was planning to put them in a pot and transplant them into the ground of my south facing yard.

I know they need 180 days of warm weather to get mature gourds so I'm crossing my finger.

Am I too late?

4. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

For 3 years I have tried growing luffa in a greenhouse with no luck. The 1st year I tried was a really hot summer and they took off climbing the walls and across the ceiling of the greenhouse.....even produced little 2" luffas but because they require so much time they never had a chance to mature. Last year the plants never matured. This year I started the seeds in January and kept them in the house until recently when the only surviving seed was moved outside to my tropical greenhouse. Now it appears to have stalled. This "tropical" greenhouse will be kept heated in the fall and winter so I am hoping the plant will still have time to do something.
    They seem to require a lot of heat so my suggestion is to put (or build) a mini "greenhouse" over them.
    Good luck!