Identification: looking for id and tips for care

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by rebekkahm, May 1, 2008.

1. rebekkahm

rebekkahm Active Member

Hi! I picked up some new plants a few days ago and am looking for some IDs and care instructions to make sure I give them a good home. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

all plants should be in containers with drain holes.

pepperomia (variegated) is a succulent - use cactus soil. water thoroughly when soil is very dry. bright light.

dunno this one. looks very familiar though.

purple passion - regular potting soil. keep a bit moist - not completely sogged out. bright light.

fern, possibly mayii - use cactus soil and orchid mix. water frequently and mist daily for added humidity. indirect bright light. very good in a bathroom or by the kitchen sink as long as there isn't too much direct light.

3. rebekkahm

rebekkahm Active Member

thanks! as for the second one, my mom called it a datura but I'm hoping it's not as datura is highly toxic.

The purple passion is in with a maidenhair vine (not sure if I'm going to keep them together though). Do you think they are compatible (ie. like the same light and amount of water)?

4. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Not a Datura, Ruellia, probably Ruellia makoyana.

HTH
    Chris

5. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

The fern is either Pteris Cretica 'Albo-lineata' or P. Cret. 'Mayii.' Only difference is whether or not the tips are forked / frilled.

I keep mine in standard potting soil, potted, reasonably well-shaded. I wouldn't expect that the sunlight that reaches you will be nearly strong enough to kill this off under pretty much any circumstances, but I don't know where in Canada you are... It's possible here in South Texas, but even under maybe 5 - 10% shade last summer, mine is still fine. It's happier now that it's more shaded, but the key to this one is to watch your watering very closely. If it's shaded and indoors, you'll likely not need to water more than once or twice a week...

6. rebekkahm

rebekkahm Active Member

Thanks for all your help! Now that I have the names I found some good care instructions and can keep my little plants happy and growing.

PS. I'm in Northwestern Ontario, not much in the way of hot sun lol especially not like Texas!

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I would separate the purple passion and maidenhair fern. The maidenhair fern likes moist soil and LOTS of humidity, and bright indirect light to do well indoor. This fern has been known to be an indoor challenge. If you have a terrarium it might do ok.The purple passion likes bright light as well, and even a little sun (to keep the colors bright) and to almost dry between waterings.

8. cookie_mccool

cookie_mccool Active Member

Purple passion tends to get leggy and straggly, so it'll want to be pruned up real nice. The pruned cuttings are so easy to repot they practically start rooting right after you cut them.