Looking for gold kiwi plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by pmurphy, Aug 7, 2013.

1. SoniaJ

SoniaJ New Member

If you’re still looking, I found someone who grew them from seed and selling them on Facebook Marketplace (Brampton, ON)

Golden Kiwi plant

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Thanks, but I was able to locate a source the following year and now have productive vines that will soon ready for harvesting.

3. SoniaJ

SoniaJ New Member

Excellent!

I just planted 4 vines (1 is more mature than the others) this year and am eagerly waiting for them to be productive. Hoping I’ll only have to wait 1 more year.

4. pmurphy

FYI, you do need male and female to get fruit.

5. SoniaJ

SoniaJ New Member

Yes I had a Pasha male but got rid of him as he was taking up space. I replaced him with an Issai and I also have a Jenny both self fertile.

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

SoniaJ, you also need cloned plants, if you want the real thing. As mentioned earlier, plants grown from seeds usually do not closely resemble their parents.

SoniaJ likes this.
  7. SoniaJ

SoniaJ New Member

I think I’m good. I bought 3 of them from bamboo plants, an online nursery and a fourth as a mature plant from a local enthusiast who sells many plants to local nurseries.

8. pmurphy

I'm not familiar with Pasha but the other issue is when those vines will flower; golds will flower mid to late May and from what I've seen and read, Issai and Jenny flower in summer so their timing may not overlap to pollinate a gold. Also, it took six years for my vines (which were purchased as cuttings) to mature enough to produce fruit.

SoniaJ likes this.
  9. SoniaJ

SoniaJ New Member

I don’t own a gold so I’m good.

I checked with my 4 vine descriptions will work together as the two self fertilizing females and flower at the right time as my other two.

Yes, I’ve read it can take 5-9 years before a vine produces. The self pollinating Issai I have is is 3-4 years old so I’m being very hopeful that I might have something in a year or two. A girl can hope, right?

pmurphy likes this.
  10. Tropics

Tropics New Member

pmurphy could you please tell me where you got your kiwi plants from. I am in the states.

11. pmurphy

I got them from a nursery called "Petals from the Past" in Alabama but they haven't had them listed since shortly after I got mine.

12. Tropics

Tropics New Member

Thanks pmurphy. Do you have plant cuttings that you are willing to sell?
    Please let me know. Thanks

13. pmurphy

Sorry but I can't ship to the US - I've given away many cuttings but no one has been able to propagate them to date.

14. Tropics

Tropics New Member

Thanks. I thought you were in the US.

15. pmurphy

For anyone still looking for gold kiwi I just received an email from Phoenix Perennials in Richmond BC - their fall citrus and rare fruits list is out and on it is Golden Kiwifruit – Actinidia chinensis ‘Yellow Queen’. Very limited quantity is available, only 20 plants (1 gallon pots).
    Phoenix Perennials does do mail order and will ship plants.

Fall Citrus & Rare Fruit Pre-Order - Phoenix Perennials and Specialty Plants

16. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Thanks, pmurphy, I just ordered one of the gold kiwis; I suspect that they will sell out pretty quickly.

17. SunGold

SunGold New Member

I am too late. They run out...

18. B.C.

B.C. New Member

I am revisiting this thread. Here are my notes at random.

1. Background on "Yellow Queen" kiwi can be found here: Yellow Queen
    2. The follow-up on the better kiwi "Soreli" can be found here: Mpumalanga Soreli kiwi harvest lives up to expectations – but it won’t work everywhere
    3. Costco carries Zespri kiwis, both green and yellow, but I brought Zespri "Sungold" from a local supermarket in Chinatown in Toronto at two for $3. These are jumbo size, 3" long, and have a pineapple taste.
    4. As an experiment, I brought some Hayward kiwis from the same supermarket and I was able to produce sprouts from seeds. I might do the same for Sungold. Of course, growing these kiwis to full size is out of the question because the temperature is too cold in Toronto. Moreover, I don't have males for these kiwis to produce fruits. The Sungold kiwis are recent purchases. I still have one uncut.
    5. PACIFIC NORTHWEST EXTENSION publication PNW 507 Revised March 2021 is a recent update and worth reading. It is packed with information, goes into details on temperatures effects, the possibility of crossing male/female of different kiwi species etc. https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/sites/catalog/files/project/pdf/pnw507.pdf. I also found some European publications useful.

SunGold likes this.
  19. B.C.

B.C. New Member

Following up on my last post, here are pictures from supermarkets in Toronto Chinatown. Zespri Sungold is quite common. The first 3 pictures show where I brought the Sungold kiwis. The 4th picture shows bulk green kiwis at the same supermarket priced considerably lower at 20 for $1. The last picture shows Golden kiwis from another supermarket. A zoom close-up shows the stickers on the kiwis saying "Sungold".

Attached Files:

20. SunGold

SunGold New Member

Hope the Yellow Queen Kiwi is back in stock soon. Growing from seeds may take ages to grow and not true to seed and no mate.

21. rhinogator

rhinogator New Member

They still have about 10 plants at the Phoenix Perennial nursery. i picked up my first ever gold kiwi yesterday, super excited.
    Talked to the owner, they will order more in late February/early march. So you can send in your e-mail order somewhere around that time.

22. Ramblingrotors

Ramblingrotors New Member

Anyone tried to root from cuttings?

23. pmurphy

I've tried countless times since I acquired my plants at all times of the year, as have several others that have taken cuttings and still no luck.

24. Ramblingrotors

Ramblingrotors New Member

Ok what about grafting, any one tried grafting?

25. pmurphy

One person was going to try graphing (no word yet but as this was over a year ago I'm assuming no success) and another was going to try cloning (again no word on success)