Looking for an old english rose

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by maria2006, Aug 15, 2008.

1. maria2006

maria2006 Member

Hello Everyone:A family member will be celebrating a milestone birthday,and I got it in my head to get her something ...interesting like a rose. Her namesake rose, her name is Miriam. I know there are roses by that name I just can't seem to find them. In particular "Miriam hybrid musk/hybrid tea" Large flower orange-yellow blooms. The second is "Miriam's Single White Wichuraina" rambler white near white. First is bred in 1919 no date for the second I believe Rev Joseph Hardwick Pemberton is the breeder...Help!!!!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Try web sites of large Canadian mailorder sources like Pickering and Hortico, both in Ontario.

3. maria2006

maria2006 Member

RonB: Thanks for info. Already contacted Pickering ...no go. Hortico doesn't have it in their catalogue. Waiting for email reply. Fingers crossed !!maria2006

4. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

You might try the Vancouver Rose Society http://www.vancouverrosesociety.org/ as someone there may have some ideas.
    Your idea is a lovely one for a birthday.
    Good luck
    Margaret

5. maria2006

maria2006 Member

Hi Margaret Thanks for the heads up on the "Rose Society". I just finished an email to them when your thread came up.....aaahhh great minds!!!

6. valleygardener

valleygardener Active Member

According to "Combined Roses" which is a list of all roses in commerce, (at least all roses that have been registered) published each year, there are three 'Mariam' listed.

A McGredy Hybrid Tea (1989) yellow blend - only available in Europe
    'Miriam's single White Wichurana' - available from Vintage gardens in California
    'Miriam's Pink Powder Puff' a Hybrid Perpetual (pink blend) which is also available from Vintage Roses.

I'm not sure this is particularly helpful since I don't know if Vintage would export to Canada, but at least you won't be frustrated in your search. I know what that's like!

Valley

7. maria2006

maria2006 Member

Hello Thanks for the info. I've contacted Vintage. The rose "miriam white wichurana" would take 18-24 months for delivery. It's a special order and would have to be grafted. And as you mentioned they don't deliver to Canada. I did ask if someone might have cancelled there order and they have one in the ground, but I'm not holding my breath. I do thank you for the mention of "combined roses" list. This I have not heard of. Maria2006