Looking for an arborist

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mhern, Dec 17, 2007.

1. mhern

mhern Active Member

Unbelievable! That's how I will describe the variation of quotes that we've received from different arborists..all of them saw the trees and they're surroundings so I am assuming that all risks associated have been assessed. Guess what, we got quotes ranging from $1K - $11K. This is a challenge as how do you know where to settle. The cheapest one may not really know what they're doing or they probably did not include any risks associated and just prayed that everything will turn out ok. Whereas the $11K probably costed all the possible risks that might happen and will get us to pay for them. Ahhhhh.

On to getting more quotes.....

2. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ensure that each quote includes the same work - one might be including the cost of taking the wood to the landfill, another planning to leave it on site.

Ask how they plan to do the work - 11K (wow) must be planning a skylift or maybe using transporter technology to get cutters to the top of the tree (just kidding, watching too much star trek) while 1K may be planning to just strap on some spikes and a belt and climb the tree.

The arborists around here may be able to add more "spot the diffs".

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

thats a pretty huge range in prices!
    basic tips from me would be to see that the companies are current with WorksafeBC, covered with liability insurance (at least $2 million, some cities now require $5 million) and are all quoting on the same scope of work, technically they should have a business license in every town / city they work in also. Most companies should be able to tell you what methods they will be using to do the work as well.

4. guitarPete

guitarPete Member

As a first timer who cam across this site, I have enjoyed reading most of the postings. I have a huge monkey tree in my front yard that is causing problems...in particular, the roots infiltrating our sewer line. When we bought the place we loved the tree, but living with it has been tough. Our neighbours are very considerate and have neve once complained about the tons of rasor sharp needles this tree drops every year all over the place.

KarinL, you sound like a very uptight and stressed out person. Just as you have a right to do whatever you want with the tress in your property, so should your neighbours. I donlt understand why you would expect a neighbour to cut down his tree just so you don't have to clean your guttters! As a home owner, I learned long ago that jobs like that come with the territory as well doing my best to cooperate with neighbours. While it's fine to air out our concerns, I sense a lot of negativity in your posts. We are all very lucky to be homeowners with our very own yards and houses to tend...luckier than most. Don't lose sight of the positive because it's so easy to be negative.

But to get back the the main reason I started reading these posts, we were wondering if the wood resulting from removing this tree has any value. Would there be anyone out there willing to pehaps buy it or use it in a productive way? We have a had a few quotes and it is quite costly to remove a monkey tree this size, so we were wondering if there would be a way to offset the cost by making use of the wood? Any advice is welcome.

5. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I haven't been able to get an arborist to return my calls!

Trevor of Arborpro promised to visit to give me a price to clean up some trees on my property and he has not responded to my follow up.

I spoke with Pennisula Tree Preservation who also promised to to visit to give me a price and I haven't heard from them either.

It's been weeks and no response.

This is why people call the dreaded 'landscaper with the unmarked truck' to prune trees.