Looking for a new tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by BellaHana, Sep 22, 2006.

1. BellaHana

BellaHana Member

Hi,

I looking for a small tree, around 15 feet tall, for my front yard. It has to be low maintenance (ie does not require lots of pruning or cleanup) and relatively pest free. And also a root system that won't heave up my pavement. I went to GardenWorks and they suggested a Styrax Japonica and a Magnolia. Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

styrax japonia and obbassia are nice trees. gingko is pretty trouble free.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Those are all too big, except maybe 'Carillon' weeping snowdrop or one of the dwarf ginkgo cultivars. Only magnolias short enough are Kosar-DeVos Hybrid ('Susan' is a good one), star magnolia, lily magnolia or Oyama magnolia.

4. BellaHana

BellaHana Member

Thank-you for the suggestions. I think the gingko may be a good option for our need. Would you have recomendations for a reputable source for trees. I live in greater vancouver, bc.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

General independent garden centers down here have had various small-growing gingkoes in recent years. Try making some phone calls.

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

If in Burnaby I would suggest start your hunt with a walk around Gardenworks on Lougheed hwy and/or Mandeville on Marine. they should have a decent selection of plants and trees at this time of year, go ahead and see whats out there.