Looking for a Camellia for my Seattle Garden

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by cbale224, Aug 22, 2009.

1. cbale224

cbale224 Active Member

I am in Seattle Zone 8 and have a spot up against the house that is shaded where I want to put a Camellia. I am looking for a plant that will grow to approximately 10 to 15 feet with a width of 5 to 6 feet. I would like a variety that is red, double, and the flowers drop after blooming. I am having a hard time finding a variety that meets my criteria. Does anyone have a favorite that meets these criteria?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

C. japonica keeps the flowers, C. x williamsii I don't think you will find in red. Probably have to try a double, dark form of C. x vernalis. Look at the "sasanqua" camellias at local outlets in fall-winter, or order through the mail.

3. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

The only real red I've ever seen is Yuletide, and it's a single with very pretty prominent yellow stamens. Winter's Fire is a deep pinky-red but not a red red. I've heard there is a red version of the pink Kanjiro called Red Kanjiro -- the growth habit of the Kanjiro is very much as you've said you want, but I've never seen the red one. (I have one of the pinks.) If you find one, let us know. I'd love one myself.
    HTH
    keke

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years