Living Fences Wanted

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Dr David Livingstone, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Dr David Livingstone

Dr David Livingstone Member

Hi everyone.

I am starting a farm in Africa & I want to plant a "living fence" around my property.

A bamboo fence (dead bamboo) will be built around the property line & I was thinking of shoring it up with a nasty hedge of devils club and/or stinging nettle.

I already have a bag of bulk nettle seeds, but I haven't got a clue where to find Devils' Club seeds (aside from wild stock seeds).

If anyone knows where I can find Devils' Club seeds or if anyone has any other/better hedge/fence ideas, please add your input.

Thanks!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Where in Africa?

Chances are (1) the plants you collected won't grow there, (2) it would likely be illegal to import seeds, and (3) more effective local African species may well be better anyway.

3. Dr David Livingstone

Since I put up the opening post of this thread I did a bunch of research & found all the answers I was looking for.

Thanks anyway Michael.

4. anacortesclinic

anacortesclinic Member

Hi David,
    I lived in Ethiopia for several years and used Kei Apple (dovyalis caffra) as a fence. It is a local species that is used for fencing, green year round, long thorns, impenetrable! I would not take seeds from here such as devils club, that's the last thing they want!

Google dovyalis caffra and look at the images under plant of the week. We kept ours cut back to 5 ft tall and 2ft wide this made them hedge-like.

Good luck!
    Steve

5. Dr David Livingstone