Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender silhouette'

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Acerholic, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Just saw this at my friends garden, his new Liquidambar is changing towards Autumn. He is very excited btw. The fiery reds are to come very very soon.

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  2. Acerholic

An update on my friends Liquidambar in his garden today 8th October 2020. Really starting to turn now. In about a week it should be bright scarlet all over.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Another Liquidambar in full flow this morning. These trees I recommend for people who want the brilliant red in Autumn without the problems you can get with JM.

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The named form in the first set does have a slender habit. Otherwise this is a large growing species that develops rapidly - the one in the second set is soon going to completely overwhelm the planting site. Also sweet gum is prone to branch breakage, quite good at lifting asphalt and some find the pokey fruits objectionable.

5. Acerholic

And there are two of them here !!! Nice new garden wall might not be upright for too long then. But you have to admit they are so cheerful and bright in the Autumn.

6. Acerholic

18th October 2020 and it's nearly there, just a few days and it will be totally red. My friend is so excited, Lol.
    The transition phase is just as important IMO, so here it is today.

Attached Files: