Propagation: Lipstick Plant Cuttings

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by pirhan, Nov 14, 2008.

1. pirhan

pirhan Active Member

Hi there,

I've some cuttings of my lipstick plant. It's doing okay - but it's not flourishing as other cuttings of mine have. (Epipremnum aureum, caladium.) The leaves are thick - like a succulent, but the cuttings leaves are not firm anymore. They're soft and becoming wrinkly. I used a rooting hormone for the tips before planting. Is this normal because it doesn't have normal roots yet? Any tips or suggestions for me?

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i think i'd have rooted them in water instead of putting them in soil.

how often are you watering the soil medium and what did you use?? the leaves would definitely start to shrivel up if there are no roots yet to provide nutrients. you may need to water more frequently to get some roots going.

3. pirhan

pirhan Active Member

The soil was slightly moist, but she did perk up when I watered her some more. The water I use is from the fish tank, so it's got fertilizer in there already. Hopefully that'll speed up the root growth. Do you know how long it usually takes to get a decent set of roots in? I cut and replanted about a month and a half ago.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i meant what kind of soil medium did you use? although, knowing that you're using the tank water is helpful, too! i'd taken down my tank before i really got into the plants, so i don't know how frequently you can use the water. if you put ANY chemicals in it, whether to treat illness or even to condition the water to make it suitable for the fish, i wouldn't use it on the plants.

if you weren't watering frequently enough - and it sounds like it if the plant perked up after a good soaking, then the root development will be a bit delayed. it should have a somewhat decent amount of roots at this point though.

5. pirhan

pirhan Active Member

Soil is just the stuff in the bag you get from the garden centre. Unfortunately I'm am a novice when it comes to plants so I haven't a good pantry of garden goodies.

For the fish water, I use a gravel siphon and get about 2 gallons of water that goes into a watering can then which I use on my plants. They seem to really thrive on it and my Christmas Cactus blooms each year.

Thanks for your help!