Lilac tree that never blooms

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by mcrosbie, May 20, 2003.

1. mcrosbie

mcrosbie Member

When I moved into my little home four years ago , I inherited a lilac tree that has not bloomed. It does have leaves on it. I would like to help it to bloom. Am I too late this spring to fertilize it? If not, what would be recommended for fertilizer? I am thinking that bone meal might be a good thing to feed it. Is this the wrong time of year to shovel in some bone meal around it's roots. If I were to water it with Miracle Grow, is it possible that it might bloom this summer?
    Thanks an advance to anyone who is able to help me.

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Lilacs bloom on growth produced in the previous year, setting flower buds in summer, after vegetative growth slows down. If plants are pruned too late (i.e., in the summer), they lose the capacity to make flower buds, so will not bloom the following year. Other reasons for non-flowering include too much shade, and too much applied fertilizer, which causes overly lush growth. Bacterial blight and powdery mildew are serious problems for lilacs and both can cause non-flowering if the plant is severely affected.

Lilacs are long-lived in dry climates, but grow best where the soil is rich and moist. An ocassional top-dressing with manure is usually sufficient to provide nutrients. Bonemeal would not hurt the plant, but is so slow in breaking down that its effects would not be seen for some time. Bonemeal is more effectively used at planting time, sprinkled in the planting hole where it will make intimate contact with roots. Soluble fertilizers, such as Miracle-Gro, are comparatively expensive and provide little long-term benefit to plants in the landscape.