Lilac suckers vs hostas

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mmmason2, Sep 14, 2018.

1. mmmason2

mmmason2 New Member

Hello!

Our home was built in 1973. We just moved in last year. There is a lovely lilac 'tree' growing in the SE corner of the side yard. This is not a bush, but has been pruned to be a tree and is about 15 feet tall. Knowing nothing about lilacs I planted ferns and hostas underneath. They are doing well - but I battle continuously with the lilac suckers! My question: transplant the ferns and hostas and allow the lilac suckers to grow into . . . . ? Or, just keep on pulling them up? But won't that damage the hostas and ferns?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You will be continuing to battle, as the removal of the suckers prompts the growth of more suckers. There are some products on the market that provide a synthetic plant growth regulator which inhibits suckering for a time, so that is an option. Or you may want to follow the right plant, right place philosophy and either transplant the hostas and ferns or remove the lilac.