Lentils- are a much over-looked source of good food.

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Durgan, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Lentils are a much over-looked source of good food. They are dirt cheap and most nutritional. I never use a recipe, only follow my inclinations.

Periodically I make soup using lentils. They are easy to cook and make an excellent soup, utilizing about two cups of lentils, whole onion, whole garlic bulb, three carrots, and a large potato, an two large tomatoes, and any other vegetables lying around, and some salt to taste if desired. I chop up the vegetables and pressure cook for about 15 minutes, and have the basis for a meal in about half an hour. They may be cooked on the stovetop, or in a slow cooker, which I have never done.

Lentils (Lens culinaris) are an ancient crop that have been grown since the Stone Age. Approximately 60% of current world production of lentils is from India and Turkey. Canada is the world's third largest producer and second largest exporter of lentils. About 80% of Canadian lentils are grown in Saskatchewan.

Canadian-grown lentils have an average protein content of 29%. Lentil is the vegetable with the highest level of protein after soybeans and hemp, and are used in soups and stews. The seeds should have a short cooking time, cook uniformly, and be firm, not mushy.

http://www.dspdirect.ca/lentils.php More information.

Sure beats junk food.