Lemons; when do they flower...

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by azaleafan, Jun 22, 2006.

1. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

Well, I grew it from seed over 3 years ago. Since then it has grown to more than 2 feet tall. It has been neglected a few times but it is doing well dispite it's bad treatment. I have heard form some sources that it takes 3-4 yrs for them to fruit and from others that they take 10+ yrs to fruit. So, exactly how long do they take to fruit and will they even fruit if the seed was from a store bought lemon?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

From what I've read a lemon tree grown from seed will begin to flower after 2-3 years. This junvenility period may be shortened by favorable growing conditions and lengthened by unfavorable ones. Significant pruning will delay flowering according to experienced growers.

3. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

Well, I guess that conferms what I have heard then. I guess I should be trying to give it better growing conditions if I want it to fruit.

4. lemon_dreams

lemon_dreams Active Member

key limes fruit in 2-3 lemons are longer. 5-7 years least thats what i've been told on the citrus boards

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

From the planting of seed to the flowering of lemons can take up to 5 years for containerized trees grown in the home, one half that time when grown inside a year around warm greenhouse. - Millet

6. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

We have a solarium and it stays pretty warm in the winter. I'm guessing it's poor growing conditions, i.e. not watering regularly, not feeding regularly, it might even need repotting before too long. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't died yet so I must be doing some things right.