Lemon tree needs help :O

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by squirrelmaniac, Apr 17, 2007.

1. squirrelmaniac

squirrelmaniac Active Member

Hello all, i have two lemon trees, each about 4 feet tall and about 4 years old. I am growing them indoors in the winter, and outside during the summer. I fertilize with "miracid" fertilizer. Here's the issue: A few months ago, i noticed aphids on one tree, so i killed them with pesticide oil, but i noticed they left "see-through" light spots in a few leaves. Well, the tree was pretty much dormant after that, but i started to notice more of these light spots through the leaves over the last few weeks. I can see them well if i look up through the leaves and use the grow light as a background. After noticing this, i also started to notice that the viens on the leaves seemed to get scabs on them, which i thought was due to fungus. I tried the fungicide, which seems to have stopped the "scabs" from appearing/ spreading, however, i've noticed that the leaves continue to get their spotty/mottled look, and are turning yellow through the leaves, with the veins still green. Today i came home and three large leaves have fallen off.
    Things i've tried:
    I re-potted the plant about a month ago, and flushed it well with plenty of water.
    I fertilized with Miracid
    Used organic fungicide
    Used Bonid food-safe systemic insect/disease killer

Nothing has worked yet, and i'm getting quite concerned about my plant.
    Could the roots be too cold? Not enough sunlight? The other tree, which is right next to this one, has been growing well all winter, while this one has been completely dormant.
    Sorry for the long post, I hope you all can help : |
    -Kevin

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

You may have scale-- or at least that may be what you are seeing as scabs on the veins. Could you post some pics and what are your growing conditions?
    Skeet

3. squirrelmaniac

Well, it's not scale- I really dont know what it is, it's as if the viens broke open or something. Here's some pics:
    100_1262.jpg
    That picture shows the blurry translucent spots that have dotted the leaves of my tree. If i look up through the tree the spots are clearly seen with the light in the background.
    100_1263.jpg
    This picture shows the black spots that are on the underside of the translucent patches, they are raised, and form smal groups.
    100_1264.jpg
    This is the very top leaf of the tree, the only one that is in such bad shape- i think it may be burned from being too close to the fluorescent grow light.
    100_1265.jpg
    This is a picture of the "scales" that form only on the upper side of the viens, and are anywhere from .25"-1.5" long. they are brown and crusty, and look almost as if the viens have split open, then scabbed.
    100_1266.jpg
    This is my other lemon tree that is in excellent health.
    100_1267.jpg
    this is the tree that is effected by the illness.
    100_1260.jpg
    Underside of ill leaf.

As you can see, the trees do not get a huge amount of natural light during these winter months, but i do have a 48" flourescent grow lamp to hold them over till spring.

Some of the leaves look milky because i have sprayed the tree twice in the last week with sulfur fungicide, since my first guess was a fungus of some sort. i've also given it Bonide food-safe systemic.
    I desperately want to save this tree, i am very attached. It is about 4-5 years old, and approximately 5'2"
    Thanks for the help, -Kevin

4. squirrelmaniac