Leaves growing on orchid flowering spike

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by anna fong, Apr 12, 2008.

1. anna fong

anna fong Member

I have leaves growing out of two nodes on the flowering stem of my Phals. It finished flowering six months ago and all of a sudden, instead of a new spike, it is leaves. What is happening? Has anybody come across this situation?

Anna

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

sounds like new plants starting.

3. sandman

sandman Member

Happened to me too - a bit more than 1 year ago. Produced 3 kiekies which are still growing nicely. Node produced one Keiki at a time; 1st two had 3 or 4 leaves each (can't remember), and, when their roots where about 3 inches long I cut the spike about 1 inch or less below the keiki, and then I planted it. By the way, my orchids are in expanded clay (hydro-culture). Anyway, I cut the spike back after that to just above the next node and voila! another keiki. I let it grow and followed the same procedure as I did for the 1st keiki. Now for the 3rd! This was grand because not only did it produce beautiful leaves but it also produced a flower (I think I successfully attached a picture). So anyway, that was fun and the new plants are growing nicely. I read recently that it can take around 18 months for the new plants to produce flowers. Good luck with yours.

Attached Files: