Leafless orchid Identification

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Venning84, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Venning84

Venning84 Member

I got this lovely orchid a little while ago, dispite the fact that the guy at the plant store didnt know the exact name/species... i figured that i could do some reasearch and figure it our easily enough,,,, but this is not the case.....

If anyone knows what type of orchid this is, great!!! so far ive been treating it like my other phalenenopsis orchids (water light etc) but its such a unique plant im worried it may have some special requirements which i am unaware of,, if i can get the species then i can properly care for it ,,,, thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

A cane type orchid like this would have a different annual cycle than a moth orchid. Possibly it is some sort of dendrobium, although the flower shape may not be right. Tens of thousands of orchid species have been named, on top of that there are all the many more hybrids, including crosses between multiple genera.

If it makes new growth from the bottom that grows up as big as or bigger than the existing canes, then you will know you are doing something right. Especially if it flowers again.

3. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

4. Venning84

Venning84 Member

thanks for your help!!.

5. flourish

flourish Member

wow thats a stunning gold, is it perfumed?