Leaf tips browning on Japanese Maple....

Discussion in 'Maples' started by lovejinx, Aug 9, 2010.

1. lovejinx

lovejinx Member

Starts out in spring with beautiful shoots.., but eventually the tips brown and slowly through out the summer it creeps up the leaves....
    Too much water...., I don't think the soil REALLY drys out. The other ***. Maples just have a little tip browning, not like this one. Their soil seems to drain through.

Thanks for all and any info.....

Attached Files:

2. Ktel

Ktel Member

I don't know if this will help your situation, I don't know much about bonsai trees, but from someone who has been through two Japanese Maples... My newest one is indoors and I was told to water it 1/2 cup of water every other day (it's about a foot tall). It seems to be doing fine and growing. Yours might need more water since they are outside.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you with yours. They are easy to get attached too.
    Kristel

3. ian66

ian66 Active Member

The browning tips is due to drying from lack of sufficient watering. Japanese Maples need adequate water especially outdoors. If the water drains through quickly, then the rootball may not be getting soaked enough.

Ian

4. lovejinx

lovejinx Member

The soil seems always wet. Is it staying to moist/wet?

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, sounds like it. I would check whether the drainage hole(s) on the container are blocked, or maybe the potting mix is just not free draining enough. If it is waterlogged the roots will be dying off through lack of oxygen.

Gently ease the rootball out of the pot and see what the situation is. If the soil is sopping wet with little apparent root activity the best plan is to replace most of the potting mix with fresh stuff, something that drains well, and repot.

Some people will say not to repot maples in the summer, but if you move it into the shade for a couple of weeks afterwards, and keep it watered but not too wet, you should be fine. Good luck.

6. lovejinx

lovejinx Member

Thanks all for the info!!