leaf scortching

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kvolk, Oct 14, 2005.

1. kvolk

kvolk Member

Last spring I planted a 3 ft. A. s. 'Autumn Moon'. The leaves scortched rather badly. There are a few new leaves from the late summer that look nice but the ones from this spring have only a small central green area. I have a number of factors that may contribute. We have hot dry summers though this summer was not particulary harsh. We have alkaline soil and alkaline water with a high mineral content.
    This tree was planted in a shallow hole less than 1/2 the depth of the root ball and then the soil mounded around it and mulched well. It has been kept fairly moist (never drying out completely) and has been in moderate shade with a few hours of full sun in the mid afternoon.
    Is this tree likely to do well with less leaf scortching once established or are my soil and water quality going to work against me for the duration? Are other shirasawanums (other than Areum which I don't dare try) going to do better or worse in such a situation? I am looking particularly at 'Palmatifolilum' (does this one hold it's fall leaves well?) and Ogurayama.
    I have some palmatums that are protected and have done well for me in our conditions. Is there any reason that the shirasawanums and japonicums would do any worse? I have an 'Acinitifolium' (4 ft tall) that was planted last spring and has been in full sun from noon on and it has very minimal leaf scortch. I want to get A. j. Otake and Green Cascade.