Leaf of Life

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rhynno, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Hi everyone,

I really hope tha someone'll be able to help me. I've looked everywhere but had no luck.

My great grandmother had a plant called the "Lead of Life". It was just a single fleshy leaf that lived for many years (It was NOT a devil's backbone aka bryphyllum as far as I can tell; the leaves did not have poiny edges they were smooth). She pinned the leaf onto her curtains with an old hat pin I think. The leaf was longer than it was wide and it produced other similar leaves but only every once in a while.

Has anyone heard of this strange and amazing plant?

Thanks a lot :)!

Ryan

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Hi Rhynno,

Hmm, I would think some kind of Kalanchoe. Did you try looking up Kalanchoe pinnata? It's been called a Life Plant....
    If not that particular one, maybe another kind of Kalanchoe could be what your looking for....

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  3. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

I took a pic of that to my mother (I never met my great grandmother) and she said that that wasn't the right thing =/. The leaf of Pinatta is serrated and the leaf of life plant she remembers was not. Also, it didn't form plantlets on the edge of the Leaf. It only formed other leaves near the stem and very very slowly =/. I'm stumped.

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Wow, what an intriguing mystery!

How long did this leaf live? If it could live without water or soil...and propagate itself...wow.
    Any other details? Like color, where your g-gma got the leaf anything else your gma can recall?
    Hmm. Sansevieria???

Talk about a "Stumper"!

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Maybe that is where it should be on the "stumpers" or maybe add stumper to this heading if that is possible.

Liz