leaf disease on my apple and cherry trees, please help!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by liam123, May 28, 2015.

1. liam123

liam123 New Member

So this is my first post to this forum, as this is my first foray into growing fruit trees. I have scanned the forum trying to find the answers to my problem butto no avail. Maybe I am just overwhelmed by the sheer volume of knowledge this forum provides? I don't know...
    So here goes... This year I decided to get some honeycrisp apple trees and after 2 weeks of being home, the leaves started to get spots on them and on the underside of the leaf corresponding to the upper surface, there is this fuzzy almost hairlike black fungus. I have tried researching for something similar online but no luck. I was worried it might be cedar apple rust or anthracnose. but it doesn't have all the symptoms. My neighbour has a cherry tree and a birch tree not too far from my yard and they are also showing similar symptoms. I would really like to identify and possibly treat this as soon as possible. On a side note, the little green tree worms (looper?) were really bad this year on the cherry and the birch but spread to the apple trees as well. I have used BTK to help get them under control. I don't know if the disease is related to, or possibly carried by the larvae. But the timing of the disease coincided with their spring arrival. Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Any progress (or regress) report?

3. Richard Hallman

Richard Hallman Member

Hello,
    This response is more than a month late, I hope it is still of some value. The imaged you attached to you post look closer to leaf miner damage than any other type of damage than I have seen. The key to determining this is to see if the damaged area of the leaf has two layers. You should be able to separate the top and bottom of the damaged are if it is a leaf miner. There are many different leaf miners and some will attack trees that are not the usual host.
    Richard Hallman