Lawn topsoil

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Dave Beaumont, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Dave Beaumont

Dave Beaumont New Member

Can lawn topsoil be applied now when grass growth minimal? I am on southern Vancouver Island.
    Thanks, Dave

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    What if any issue are you trying to remediate ?

Are you hoping for your existing lawn to grow through your proposed top soil ?

Top soil is a broad (vague) term so perhaps you have a specific product in mind already. eg a bagged product or ...?

3. Dave Beaumont

Dave Beaumont New Member

I'm trying to fill many depresions (1 to 2 inches deep) in a rough lawn just to get a somewhat more level overall appearance . A'm using typical manufactured "Lawn soil" from a landscaping supply . My concern is that if I put it on now grass might have a more difficult time growing through ?

4. Georgia Strait

We had a new septic field — which is usually a lawn, right? (Because no structure or parking or pave over a septic system incl tank and distribution and field)

So it is a blend of sand and good soil then turf - some of which is now moss because of north east exposure but I don’t mind and do not use killers and so forth

I was sceptical of the golf course sand soil mix and yet it is fantastic

———

In any event - how big inches of width and depth are the hollows on your lawn?

Is this a professional front lawn on street side

Or a back yard more hidden

Exposure ?
    Are you allowed to water?

Do you know the seed you used originally ?

Are you digging up a spot to make more garden so you could salvage the turf and lay it in the hollow areas?

That would be a great option in my opinion.

Édit - i now see you said 2 to 3 inch deep ... so yes if you are trimming or expanding garden border edges —- salvage the bits and get matching lawn on those hollows.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  5. Georgia Strait

With further thought in this - and remembering past houses / projects

I think go out and sprinkle in to the hollow areas (do not tamp it / press it in) a layer of decent lawn soil to the depth of 1 inch (one inch)

Let the rain the coast has now water it and esp do this now cuz that grass is naturally starting to grow in sunny spots - it should grow well thru that thin inch of soil

Then once you see that methid is working - add another inch etc

If you have sod to spare (a new flower bed?) - I say go for that method - or if you explore a new subdivision - maybe the turf truck has a few scraps you can ask for

Other people very carefully shave the sod and peel it back then lay down the soil filler - then put sod back over the top

I am sure all these options are fully YouTube’d for reference (reliable or not - who knows :)

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fill the holes, sow grass seed where you have filled at a suitable time.

7. Dave Beaumont

Dave Beaumont New Member

Answer to my question is no.
    According to local nursery shud wait
    for15 degree temps, ie a few more weeks.