Lavender tree?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by burdan54, Jun 26, 2009.

1. burdan54

burdan54 Member

I recently bought a lavendar plant. I purchased it from a nursery sale. This lavender was unlike any I had seen before. It grew into a tree instead of bushy like most lavender I have seen.

When I arrived home I repotted the Lavendar tree as it was extremely root bound. There was some presence of root rot, and I cut that away. After repotting hoping it was not going to die, it did. I watered when the soil was dry and kept it in full sun. 1 week later the leaves are gray and the plant is dead. I removed it from the pot, there were no signs of root rot, and the soil was damp.

Did the sun kill this plant? I thought that lavender needed full sun to bloom?

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

what kind of light conditions was it in when you bought it? if you took it from indirect/shady conditions and put it straight out into the sun, with no adjustment phase, then it may have been too much for it.

also, repotting and cutting the roots (even though they were damaged) would have put the tree into a stressed situation. add to that the high light and you have failure to thrive.

one other thing is the soil you replanted it in. was it the correct type for lavendar? did the container have good drainage??

one or the other is problem the biggest problem as you said the soil was still moist when you unpotted it again. lavendar likes very dry conditions.

any possiblility of it being in a one-year warranty? if so, you can probably get a replacement and try again.

3. burdan54

burdan54 Member

I do not believe that this was under any warranty. The nursery was having a mass sell to liquidate to make some room for the next growing season.

You are correct in all your ideas. I did not allow for a transition, and I am not sure if the soil mixture was the best. What kind of mix should be used with lavander.

This lavender only cost me 2 dollars at this sale, so its really no huge loss. However, I will be trying again.

This sale was the mother load of sales. I was able to purchase a 4 foot tall desert rose with a 14 inch bulb for a grand total of 5 bucks. I spent 12 dollars on 4 siam ruby banana trees. I spent 10 cents on each dwarf pomegranate tree. I also bought 2 cowboy cactus each is taller than 4 feet and they were both 5 bucks each.

sorry I didnt mean to get off subject. thanks for the tips on growing lavender. I will be trying again soon.

4. joclyn

wow!! WHAT a sale!!!! you got some excellent deals!!!

really too bad the lavendar didn't make it. if the sale is still going, try again!!

for container lavendar, i'd do a very well-draining mix. potting soil, cactus soil and some orchid bark, too.

5. shelton

shelton Member

Sound sto me like you bought a lavender plant that had been pruned / trained into a topiary. I agree you needed to transition the plant to the new location. For more great Lavender tips see http://everything-lavender.com. Information about potting mix and more.

6. joclyn

oh!!! shelton!!!! GREAT site - thanks for posting the link to it!!