Large Leafed shade plant - please help

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wezel, Sep 12, 2010.

1. wezel

wezel Member

I ran across this large leafed (leaves measure roughly 4 t0 5 inches across) plant at a park garden - they have no clue what it is, and unfortunately neither have I - I took a wild guess at Wild rhubarb, or Astilboides, but the leaves really don't match.

It is growing in a partially shade, really dry bed, facing south east and is growing very happily to about 8 - 10 inches in height. They don't recall seeing a flower so can't give a description. Any help would be appreciated. Zone 5b

unknownplnt-1200.jpg

unknownplnt2-1200.jpg

unknownplnt3-1200.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Could it be Viola sp?
    Or wild ginger, Asarum canadense?

3. wezel

wezel Member

thanks for the response. I think no to both of those. Azarum has small (about 1 inch across) succulent-type leaves and is MUCH shorter, hugs the ground in fact. the leaves of Viola Sp are also generally smaller - my plants leaves measure about 4 to 5 inches across. that's not to say that there isn't a very large Viola that I haven't met- but frankly, if there is one this large - I don't want to meet it! (LOL)

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Well, I know that shade can make a plant's leaves grow larger, as do my white violets' leaves.---I think that the overlapping bit seen on some of the leaves in photo #1 is an ID clue.

Fear not: someone will recognize your plant.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

One of the bigleaf Asteraceae, for instance Petasites.

6. wezel

wezel Member

Thanks Ron. I had a look at a series of photos of these (Petasites), but none of the leaves were the right shape, however a further search produced a photo of this Tussilago farfara L. [Fam. Asteraceae] and the leaves are very close. The stems however, are green rather than having a reddish tinge, so I'm not sure if this is the right one.

Thanks for the suggestion

L