Identification: Lactarius olympianus?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by allelopath, Sep 5, 2016.

1. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

This is the first time I've seen whatever these are. There were only 5 or so, so I didn't take one for a spore sample. Stouter than L. delicioso and larger and stouter than Hygrocybe conica (Witch's Hat).

The ecology matches the books: late summer/early fall, subalpine ecosystem. These were in ponderosa.

Morphologically, they don't have the convex cap, but perhaps that would come with age.

Any opinions?

Attached Files:

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

With those quite prominently curving out caps they don't look to me like anything Lactarius, but I don't know what they could be and am not an expert. Hopefully Frog will soon come to the rescue.

In the meantime I am curious what makes you think they are Lactarius sp.?

3. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

Just desperate in guessing at Lactarius. L. olympianus was the closest photo I could find. When I saw it in the field, my first thought was huge Witch's Hat, but then quickly, no. Then Tricholoma but I don't see anything like that. Another possibility ... Hygrophorus coccineus or H. speciosus , but those are not listed as being in the Rockies.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Take a look at Hygrocybe conica in E-Flora BC; it shows specimens in the Rockies and cap diameters up to 12 cm.