Kiwi Trellis Question

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Panoply, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Panoply

Panoply Member

Hello All,

First, thanks fr all of the help you've given to me so far. I've a new question, well, questions. The trellis should be made with what material? I'm getting the answer 'wood' when I search, but even treated wood won't last very long way down here in the land of perpetual humidity. What other materials are appropriate? Can it climb metal, PVC etc?
    Is it OK to keep them in pots until Spring? I could plant them and build trellis now as it won't get cold for sime time yet. The reaon I'm asking about procrastination is I've a lot on my plate just now. If it neds to be done, I'll do it. Perhaps only the center stake up which the kiwi s to grow would be all that is necessary?
    I have been looking at styles of trellisis and have been been getting is that the 'Single Wire Trellis' is the easiest method available and produces better than ohe systems. I suppose that 'easy' is relative in the kiwi, as it stills seems elaborate. Do any of you recommend a better trellis system?

Thank You for Taking the Time to Read This.
    `Jeremy

2. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Whatever you do, make sure it is sturdy, big, and tall. Two of my hardy Kiwi's are now at the top of a 15 foot tall x 30 foot wide trellis and have jumped over and started climbing up a nearby tree. Once they get established they really take off! Maybe its best to plant them near a tree as they are natural climbers. They may kill the tree in time though.

I still have lots of sweet grape sized fruit on them even though the leaves have fallen off now. I'm not sure how they'll do in your locale.

3. Panoply

Panoply Member

Is keeping them in pots till Spring advisable? I'm leaning to 'no' as they are growing relatively quick. So, if I do indeed plant them, can I get away with putting in the center guide alone? Or the whole shebang? And WOW. That's an enormous kiwi! Do you have pics? I'd like to se it and also the style of trellis you used for a vine that large! I'm sure it started smaller and grew with the plant, so I am curious.
    Thanks everyone.

Again, primary question. Plant now? If now, how muc trellis required. There is some pretty serious personal tragedy that has occured and I'd just as soon give them away but have been asked not to and so will not. Sounds like a Lifetime movie, I know. True, though. I'm sentimental. Hopelessly and unrepentantly.

Thanks Again!

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

You can plant the kiwis now and build the trellis in the spring. If you plan to have a main post in the ground near a plant, then the main post(s) should also be installed now to avoid disturbing roots in the spring. The rest of the trellis can be built anytime before growth takes off in the spring.

If you don't mind pruning a lot during the summer, you don't need a large structure. Kiwis tolerate severe pruning and can be kept to any reasonable size.

5. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

I planted my Kiwis in 2005 against a stacked poplar log fence. I made a rustic trellis out of 1-2" thick vine maple stems I saved when I cleared some land. I basically made 2 foot by 2 foot squares by standing the tallest stems vertical every two two feet or so and nailing to the poplar log fence, and then nailing stems horizontally every two feet vertically. It is quite rustic, very strong (I can climb up the rungs as vine maple is very tough wood) but fits nicely into the landscape.

I spent a year or so training the vines to go up and after that they just climbed naturally.

6. Panoply

Panoply Member

Wow, tree nut! You are indeed a....tree nut! That's very elaborate. I think I've settled on a style. I will let it get pretty large and then prune it to keep it how I was it. Now I wondering about how much sunlight they should get. I had assumed full sun, or mostly full, until I read that kiwi do beter if their 'trunks' are shaded. Anythoughts?