Key Lime Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by junnieann1, Nov 25, 2007.

1. junnieann1

junnieann1 Member

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone would know about this. Last year the key lime tree had hundreds of fruit. This year not a blossom,or a fruit. Is this common for this tree to do this.
    Any Help!
    Thanks Junnieann

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I do not know about Key Limes specifically, but alternate yr bearing is a problem in some citrus for sure. Another possibility is that your tree did not get the stress it needed to initiate blooming-- in most areas that stress is in the form of cold, but it can be the result of drought stress. To get the required cold stress usually requires approximately 800 hrs of temp below the mid 60s.

Skeet

3. junnieann1

junnieann1 Member

Skeet, Thank You for the imformation.I didn't know all that. I think it may have been not enough water now you wrote that.
    Thanks Again Junnieann

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Key Lime is not affected by alternate bearing. In fact, although Key Lime generally blooms in the spring with a higher number of flowers, as do many citrus varieties, the tree is considered as ever bearing. My guess is that the tree's problem was due to not receiving the general care that a Key Lime requires. Ocklawaha, Florida is far enough north in Florida to receive any cold stress required by a Key Lime. In fact Key Limes will do better and better the further south you go.