Propagation: Key Lime seed propagation

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tiniestGarden, Jul 21, 2012.

1. tiniestGarden

tiniestGarden Member

I live in North Carolina. Our summers have become much longer than they used to be, with shorter winters that rarely even see any snow.
    I bought a bag of Key limes and have a large number of intact seeds. I want to try to propagate them and was wondering if I mix them with Promix and a fungicide, then put them in the fridge for 6 weeks to chill, if I should be able to plant them outside in containers, in August? Obviously, it will still be hot then, and usually is til October. Do you think that a month or so of hot to medium hot weather will be enough to make them pop up and turn into seedlings? Obviously, they will come in for the winter.
    Next question; once they get going, should I keep them warm by using a warming pad under them when they come inside? I will be using plant lights, too.
    Thanks.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Cold stratification is not required for citrus seed. They should be sown fresh as they loose their viability in a relatively short time. Soil temperature of 30-35C (86-95F) would be ideal for germination. Plants do not need supplemental heat with typical indoor temperatures.