Keeping oregano from bolting

Discussion in 'Herbs for the Kitchen' started by 2annbrow, Oct 27, 2009.

1. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Say, speaking of oregano, mine often bolts sooner than I'd like. I have cut the "buds" and dried them to use just for pretty, but haven't tried them as a flavoring herb. Has anyone else tried that? [I wanted to, but have been threatened that if I "mess with" my long-evolved spaghetti sauce recipe I'll be in big trouble.]
    Or, conversely, does anyone know how I can keep the oregano shrub from bolting so soon?

2. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Ann, do you know which Oregano you are growing?
    There are about 3 different types that are popular. ( Greek, Mexican(mis named) and marjoram (again mis named)
    They all put out runners which you can simply cut off or bury in an adjacent pot to root a new plant.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  3. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    No, Bob, I'm not sure exactly what kind it is. It was tagged "Greek oregano," but no botanical name. It is quite large and more of a shrub, and has never put out runners. I do know it isn't "Mexican oregano," which I have also grown, and which bolts just as quickly as does my coriander! But somehow I don't think that rooting a runner would create slower bolting, since it would still be a clone of the same individual, wouldn't it?

4. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Sorry, I confused you with my suggestion.
    I was suggesting starting a new plant from the runner.
    Generally, my experience with bolting is when there is a lack of light and or Nitrogen.
    You might try more light less heat and fish fertilizer as a source of nutrient.
    p.s. Oregano Vulgaris is the common latin name for the variety grown around here.