keeping orchids alive

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by myfianceeisaflowerkiller, Apr 10, 2010.

1. myfianceeisaflowerkiller

myfianceeisaflowerkiller Member

My fiancee buys orchids at Costco and struggles to keep them alive...any ideas where she can begin?

Help!!!

Toronto, Canada

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Re: Pls need name of this plant..

Give us more information. Where is she keeping her orchids, and what is she doing to them? Photos always appreciated. Examine The Usual Suspects: Light; temperature; moisture; bugs. Ooh... please tell us that she is NOT doing the ice-cube thing...!

By the way, welcome to the Forum!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
  3. myfianceeisaflowerkiller

Re: Pls need name of this plant..

Thank you...terrific advise!!! Orchids are not the only flowers she kills...I am sitting next to a group of potted plants...all of which are crying for mercy....

...when I query her as to their most recent waterings, she gets a stunned look on her face, like someone who was just caught in a crime...

...is there more of a generalist thread?...like how to keep anything alive?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The forums is more of a question and answer thing--so hard to give really general advice. I have little experience with orchids. There are several types, but the ones most often available are the lovely tropical orchids. Most require bright light, but not hot direct sun, humid environments, and light fast draining soil. Water only when top layer of soil is dry--usually once every 2-4 weeks in winter and once a week in summer. Fertilize with dilute orchid food as per instructions. To get them to bloom again, you will need to find out what type you have and learn about its habits. Orchids often require specific temperatures and a specific differential in day and night temps to come into bloom.

You might try reading through some of the posts in the archived Orchid Forum or maybe look for a good beginner house plant book. (What a nice gift for your sweetheart.)

5. myfianceeisaflowerkiller

Eric,

Your bio is really cool -- I am an American who moved to Canada as well...I am from Illinois, a farm near the Wisconsin border.

I like your book idea for my fiancee, but she is not much of a reader...I tell people I am her ESL instructor, and they believe me.

I am a Harvard guy, and a voracious reader...I have been watching some orchid videos on YouTube.

I picked up the ice cube idea you mentioned, and are advising against...what don't you like about it?

Best,

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

8. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

There is nothing I like about the ice cube idea.
    Simply put: Don't do it.

9. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Amen to that!