British Columbia: Keeping mandevillas outdoors through winter in Victoria

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by KirstenRock, Sep 27, 2021.

1. KirstenRock

KirstenRock New Member

Hi everyone!

I have three vining mandevillas that absolutely thrived at my place in Victoria, BC over the summer. I'm curious if anyone has been successful keeping mandevillas outdoors through the winter.

I have a rather large number of tropical plants on my patio, many of which need to be brought inside through the winter. In the absence of having a cool basement or garage to over-winter plants in, and in the interest of not flooding my apartment with dozens of plants all winter, I'm trying to find out what might or might not survive if I just left it outside through winter.

My plan was to put them in my small, unheated greenhouse, but it occurred to me that's essentially the same as just leaving them outside where they are.

I would bring in any plants during frost or if temperatures dip below zero.

Has anyone tried this in Victoria/Vancouver with any measure of success?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have not had success, but I didn't bring them in for the cold nights.

3. KirstenRock

KirstenRock New Member

Okay thanks! I'm going to experiment and leave one outside, one in the greenhouse and one indoors haha- we'll see which one survives best and I'll plan out future winters accordingly...