Katsura bark browning

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lisa Harry, May 28, 2023.

1. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

49128378-B8A6-47BF-B7F8-C559256CCCC3.jpeg EF188949-F8D0-4A40-A312-79342BC5C4E0.jpeg 503E6C57-77A3-43B5-9E1B-2A9CAAFA0682.jpeg

Hi guys
    I have a Katsura that’s leaves appear in great condition however one main trunk has browning and appears like the trunk may be dying. Any thoughts.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

It's failing Lisa and you should remove it ASAP. This does happen now and again so don't worry.

3. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Really. Ok thanks. Contagious disease? The leaves are great but so far the one main branch looks like that. Cut at the crown?

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

It looks like die back to me, so not contagious IMO. And yes cut it out to the crown.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Agreed. I don't know what kind of infection it is, looks a bit odd. But it's an infection for sure. I would take it off just below the second node above the branching area, I mean where the main branches are, so as to leave a stub.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  6. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks for your support guys. I have no idea how it happened it appears so health on the foliage.