jubaea

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by abbotsfordpalmman, Sep 7, 2007.

1. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

well i just got back from the nursery with 80 feet of burlap! that should do me good over the winter this year. As im starting to think about palms i want to consider trying in my yard for next spring, does anyone know of any success or imagine that a jubaea could be grown in abbotsford?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Jubaea chilensis is a solid zone 9 palm and success in Abbotsford BC would be a difficult without some elaborate wintering methods. Well established Jubaea are ok in zone 8b if sited well.

Cheers, LPN.

3. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

thanks,
    Sadly that is what i kinda figured. these 30 degree september days can start stretching the imagination a bit. I dont doubt it could be done like you said, but it might have to be pretty elaborate. are there any other palms besides t fortunei and mediterranean fan palms that are solid zone 8 hardy palms that i could try? I dont know if anyone is planting these around the vancouver area but what about sabal palmetto ? I lived in florida for a while and they were everywhere. They grow in the cracks of the cement. i did remember seeing them as far as north carolina. any ideas ?

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sabal minor is certainly worthy of a try in Abbotsford BC. The hardiest varieties grow naturally in some areas of zone 6. Sabal palmetto however needs a fairly long growing season and plenty of heat to do well. Cold spells must be of short duration and daytime temps need to rebound or expect trouble.
    There are a fair number of palms that are rated for these USDA zones 8 or lower BUT, zones alone don't tell the tale. They can all be found on various web-sites with varying degrees of comparablity.

Cheers, LPN.