JM that will grow to 5 or 6 metres

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Stuart McKenna, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Stuart McKenna

Stuart McKenna Active Member

At the end of our garden we currently have a large trampoline for the kids.
    When the kids finally grow out of this in 7 or 8 years I would like a largish maple but no bigger than 6 metres.
    My idea is to buy something now and grow in a pot until the trampoline is gone. Is this feasible ? Any suggestions on which tree would work and any ideas for some smaller acers alongside it ?

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Stuart McKenna, good morning Stuart. First of all do you want a 'Japanese' maple as the largest in that position ? Also what colour do you want?
    IMO I would think about a large Acer that can give shade to smaller varieties, something like Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood or 'Atropurpureum'. These can handle full sun and will grow to the height you want in 10 years depending what size you buy. They are both a lovely red all Summer and can give protection to more delicate varieties as the years go by. Emperor 1 is also a possibility for you if you want a red.
    Theses can be kept in a pot for several years before planting out, some people keep these in pots all the time, but it would be necessary to repot every couple of years to allow for a fresh growing medium and increase in root size. Plastic pots with straight sides would be the cheapest, lightest to handle and easier to take the tree out each time.
    Regarding smaller maples to go alongside it, there are thousands of these out there and we all have our favourites, so it does depend on what colouring you are looking for, before I could suggest a few or a lot to you.
    IMO, make a decision on the large maple you want first and then come back to ask further for suggestions on others to complement each other.
    Hope that's of a little help to you Stuart.

3. Stuart McKenna

Hi @Acerholic thank you very much for the reply. I would definitely want a japanese maple as the main tree. I already have a supposed bloodgood in the garden so would really be looking for a contrasting colour, maybe green or yellow. Any thoughts on what would grow to a good size and take full sun ?

4. Acerholic

@Stuart McKenna, I seem to be recommending this one a lot these days, but with good reason. 'Summer gold' will be a wonderful contrast to a Bloodgood. It takes full sun and eventual height of 4 mtrs would be ideal for you. Not expensive to buy and will do fine in a pot for several years.

5. Stuart McKenna

@Acerholic thank you for the recommendation I will look it up

6. Acerholic