JM buds opening!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by dicky5ash, Feb 10, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Member

I have a 4.5 foot potted J.Aconitifolium that seems to be opening its upper most buds.. it’s been unusually mild here in the UK this year, hardly any frosts in my central area, so far.. very strange..and worrying if we get late frosts.

I’ll move it to a very sheltered spot.. anyone else experiencing this?

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Active Member Maple Society

Hi dicky, we are in central southern England, so the buds open earlier than most in the UK. But we have none opening atm, even our Katsura thank goodness. I think as the climate changes and warmer early Spring weather is a regular occurance, we maple growers are going to have to come to terms with the odd late frost burn, unless we pot them up and move them to sheltered positions. This is not an option if we have large collections planted in the ground and want a more natural look to our gardens rather than pots.

dicky5ash likes this.
  3. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Member

Hi dicky, I noticed a few of mine opening up last week (kiyohime, peve multicolor, and a few others). I had this same problem last year but it was in early March. I started a thread as well because it freaked me out. I live in the NE US and our last frost could be around the end of April. Luckily most of my jms are in containers and I have a greenhouse, garage, and shed to help with shelter. Right now only the few in the greenhouse have starting to leaf out.

dicky5ash likes this.
  4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Member

Thanks..I’ve not experienced it before in February...but I think this is the mildest winter in the uk I can recall...so far ⛄️...just a few top buds splitting so far on one tree.

Peve multicolour is on my watch list..not seen them readily available here

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Member

The winters here are seeming to get milder by the year. I'm not complaining because I'm from the south which is pretty hot and humid most of the year with pretty mild winters. But it makes me very worried about my trees. The last few years I've been growing tomatoes all the way until the end of Oct.

My Peve Multicolor gave me a very beautiful sport last year (half green/half white leaves alone a branch). I don't know a lot about sports but I hope it becomes a promising one.

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. emery

emery Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Very early indeed for 'Aconitifolium'! You'll actually need to protect it from heavy frost once it leafs out, though it will probably be safe to -2C or so. Lucky it's in a pot!

Here a few of the Amur maples have begun leafing out, though they are very tough. A hard freeze will make them look pretty poor and possibly damage the year's growth. A. serrulatum, a Taiwanese maple, is almost ready. Unfortunately it's very frost sensitive.

Another Taiwanese maple is this Trident, A. buergerianum ssp formosanum:
    IMG_20200214_135808.jpg IMG_20200214_135844.jpg
    I think it was raised in a greenhouse, only in the 2nd year here. You can see there's already stem growth happening.

I've left it outside to greet storm "Dennis", but in a sheltered place. If/when have a freeze, it will come inside.

-E

7. Acerholic

Today, 15th February my Katsura is sadly starting to leaf out. 'Far too early' and it's to large to protect from late Spring frosts. Its now being battered by storm Denis.

8. emery

emery Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Dennis (as they're calling it here with double-n) hasn't really started yet this far south, though there's a fair bit of wind out there. Later tonight and tomorrow I expect. Funny I was just remarking on an east wind.

I just noticed that the Neapolitan Maple, Acer opalus has huge and no doubt flower filled buds, almost open. Not typically one of the earlier maples, but I suppose it thinks itself in Naples, so...

That's rather dire for 'Katsura', but if it gets a strong freeze and not consecutive ones, it will most likely survive the experience. Sorry to hear about it though, it certainly is one of the earliest, and a very lovely JM. The worst fear for these really early openings is that it will freeze followed by another mild 6 weeks or so, then freeze again in April. Two strong flushes followed by cold has cost us a lot of maples over the last several years.

9. Acerholic

Yes Dennis is causing havoc, not just the winds but a months worth of rain in 72 hours apparently. I think we maple growers are going to have more and more problems keeping them alive as the climate is changing. Looking at scientific reports from core samples in the Arctic this happend many times many thousands of years ago so this weather is due. Ginkos survived from Jurassic period so perhaps growing Ginko trees is the way to go !!!!!!!!!

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  10. AlainK

AlainK Well-Known Member Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

As usual, the first ones to leaf out are A. tataricum var. ginnala, closely followed by A. p. 'Katsura', 'Orange Dream', 'Crippsii' and now 'Little Princess'.

Others have buds that are swelling : it was 18°C this afternoon, very windy but very warm...