British Columbia: Jasmine on a diamond trellis?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Gardeningslim, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Gardeningslim

Gardeningslim New Member

I built a diamond trellis on a West facing wall if my house in South Surrey. I'd ideally grow something evergreen that can climb and fill out the trellis. See my temporary greenery for what I'm going for. I was thinking about star Jasmine but it's Hardy to zone 8.. They will have to be planted in wood raised garden containers (I have drainage etc in the ground near the garage) rather than in the ground. If I am correct that would decrease their hardiness even moreso, is that right? Will it die? I could also consider common/poets jasmine but I have read it's only semi-evergreen. But it's better than plants dying over the winter! I have also read Madison jasmine is hardy to zone 7 - maybe that's a good choice if I can find any around here? There's also winter Jasmine but I don't care for the yellow flowers... If you have any experience with jasmine or have any other suggestions about what to plant I'd appreciate it!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've had star jasmine survive through some winters as a potted plant on the balcony of a mid-level high rise (a little bit of morning sun). I think it would be worth a try in your situation.