Jasmin Plant propagation

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by rohandaven, Feb 23, 2006.

1. rohandaven

rohandaven Member

Hi

I need some help. I tried various ways to propagate my jasmin plant (which is 20 years old) but no luck. In the beginning some leaves look green and healthy then they turn brown and crumble.

Thanks

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Welcome to the forums Rohandaven,

Many plants are called jasmine. Is this Jasminum or one of the other fragrant plants commonly called jasmine? I have the feeling it is and I would like to know the answer as well, as I have never had success with cuttings either.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I've rooted cuttings of Murraya paniculata, Orange Jessamine and Jasminum sambac, Arabian Jasmine using [post=31632]this[/post] method. As for the latter, 'Maid of Orleans' is much easier to root than 'Grand Duke of Tuscany'.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks JK,

I have had success with Murraya, but never any Jasminum, although I have not tried very many. Have to try some again.

5. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Try "almost mature' wood, cuttings taken from neither green nor brown wood. Allow them to dry for a couple of hours, then use a rooting hormone in moderation, being careful to place the cutting in an oversized hole so as not to remove the hormone(Rootone). Gently firm the potting soil around the cutting. Keep damp.If summer, use clear plastic or sheet glass to create a greenhouse, of sorts. Older wood cuttings may be used in the Fall. Or, you might try layering, either in the ground or with a stem wrapped in moss and covered w/plastic. I have also had success with seeds (new) as soon as they were dried. Most of the foregoing holds true with Jasmines and Jessamines (Jasminum).

6. noddy

noddy Member

Hi
    I was given a cutting of a jasmin plant, I keep it in a pot on my kitchen window, the leaves are drying up, should i feed it with some babybio or something, there is no signe of bugs or anything, it was given to me by a friend and would not like it to die

7. Chuck White

noddy; If your cutting was already rooted, I have to surmise that it has been allowed to dry out, or, has been kept too wet. You speak of leaves, my supposition then being that it was rooted. If it is not rooted, I would have removed all but one or two leaves and then cut each of them to remove at least half of each remaining leaf. (With no roots, it can't support the leaves). To maintain humidity on a rooting cutting, I use a clear plastic bag over the pot as a small greenhouse. Seems to work OK. Bummer, but you may have to get another cutting to try.

8. gcolbert28303

gcolbert28303 Member

I have had luck rooting Trachelospermum asiaticum (2 types), Trachelospermum jasminoides and Jasminum molle in a plastic zippered bag with paper towel wrapped around the cut end and misting the cutting daily, roots in about 1-2 weeks. The roots will grow through the towel and I remove as much ot the paper as I can without hurting the roots and then pot them.

Best wishes
    Greg

9. Chuck White

Greg: I love the concept. I will try it this week. Many thanks for the suggestion. Chuck

10. Ferdinand Gajewski

Ferdinand Gajewski Member

I've successfully rooted jasimum sambac and gardenia by placing a 4 to 5-inch piece of new (a month or two old) wood in water. It takes 2-3 months to develop a root system.