Japanese Red Maple Sprouts

Discussion in 'Maples' started by candlelady4wv, Jun 5, 2004.

1. candlelady4wv

candlelady4wv Member

I recently found an older beautiful japanese red maple with sprouts coming up underneath the tree. How can I find information on how to transplant and take care of these seedlings? The seedlings are 12 to 18" tall. Can I plant them in containers? Please help.

2. Dave Burns

Dave Burns Member Maple Society

Candlelady My best advice is to wait until next spring, as the leafbuds are swelling,and about to open. Gently dig the seedlings up keeping a handfull of soil around the roots undisturbed as possible, and transplant them into 1 gal. pots or slightly smaller. If you wanted to plant them in a shallow plater or tray as a Bonsai forrest, this would be the time to do it. I use pinebark mixed with coarse pearlite.probably any good open mix will do. Put them in the shade,out of the wind. Don't use fertilyze until they are prospering. You might want to trim them back by a third to a half. If you can't wait, you could try some right now, watch them closley and keep them misted, if neded. I believe your success rate will be better in the spring. Good Luck Dave.

3. justdog

justdog Member

Hi:

Same kind of question.

I put a few seeds into a plastic house planter and covered it with a large plastic bag with holes in it.

I placed it in indirect sunlight.

This was done as a bit of a lark.

I put one euyonmous seed in and several JM seeds.

Could not believe it but I now have three sprouts.

Not even sure what they are!

How should these be taken care of?

How can you tell if any were JM?

They have 2 little green oval round leaves and are a quarter to half inch tall.

Thanks

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

The little leaves that you see are really just leaves that where part of the seed. The first "true" leaves will soon sprout in from the middle. If they are JMs then it will be plain to see.

M.

5. justdog

justdog Member

Excellent looking forward to this.

Any tips on care?

Transplanting.

I was not really expecting this so I would assume I must be careful in order to get them through until they can go outside.

Thanks

6. globalist1789

To be honest, they should never have been in side in at all. But, since they are we'll just have to do our darndest to make sure they do well. Firstly, If you have a suitable light for them to help them throught the dark winter months they would like that. There is plenty of info on growing plants under lights on line, so I won't go into it. Secondly, they can be transplanted into individual pots once their first true leaves are well formed. Carefully scoop the trees out of the tray, one at a time and only touching the leaves, and not the stem. Then plant them in individual pots.

I suggest that you hold out on this until the plants are used to being outside. So, when all threat of frost is gone, set them outside in the day and inside at night for a few weeks. Then they are outside or the rest of their lives.

M.

7. justdog

justdog Member

Thanks so much that is really helpful.

I would surmise I should have a light set up on a timer. is this correct?

Should I take the bag off, it still drips with humidity?

It is just very suprising as when I soaked the JM seeds they all floated.

I then read that samanagushi,(sp) were more than likely sterile.

The waterfall and the shidare(sp) were all floaters.

I will research and do what ever it takes to nurse them to spring.

Any other advice is more than welcome.

8. globalist1789

I would open the bag but leave it on so that there is some air circulation. After a while take it off. If it is very wet inside the bag you run the risk of fungus that will make short work of your little trees.

You can put the lights on a timer if you want, but I just turn my light on when I get up, and turn them off when I go to sleep. Pretty simple.

M.

9. justdog

justdog Member

Hi:

I was at the local home depot and picked up a daylight bulb, very nice light.

A timer is going to work best for my schedule.

I see a seed still attached to one of the sprouts, definately not the euyonomous seed.

What are the nutrient and water requirements?

It is just starting to get a bit dry in the soil.

A far as the light the guy in the dpot suggested trying to time the light to best emulate or duplicate the growing season.

This sounds logical.

If sunrise is 6 am and sundown is about 8 I can time the light to go on and off in these periods is this good sense?

Is the timing good?

Thanks

10. globalist1789

Your timing is fine. I wouldn't worry about feeding them until they are outside and settled into their own pots.