japanese red maple in a big pot?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Andrzej, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

Hi,

We on the western side and we have a lot of sun a 5pm. We also have a big patio, so we would like to put a big pot with appx. 6-8ft japanese red maple (upright slow grower) in front of living room windows (about 8ft from the windows) to have some shade. My question is how big the pot has to be and how long the tree can stay in the pot and be healthy? 10 years? Is Wet Heron or Bloodgood a good choice?

Thanks for your help

Andrzej

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Depends on how long the potting medium you use lasts. Use a pot a little bigger than the one it came in, so if you have to take it out and shave the outside of the roots, pack in fresh potting mix or unpot it and handle it for some other reason it is physically possible.

If you are near the water so it doesn't get blazingly hot and your maple is kept consistently moist the exposure should be OK. Otherwise, if the spot is a desert you are trying to cool with this choice it may not be the best one -- Japanese maples appear to need cooling humidity of open water or heavy irrigation in close proximity to maintain fresh appearance even in local climate.

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

at 5 p.m.?, how about the rest of the day? ;o))

Ron's advice is sound. What he perhaps does not say clearly is that, if you are ready to do it and know how to root prune, you can keep just about any palmatum cultivar in a pot for as long as you desire.

Gomero

4. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

Hi Ron and Gomero,
    The rest of the day is also sun until 7pm then, the sun is block by other trees on the right corner. In the morning until 1 pm sun is also block by the house.
    By the way my pot is 3ft in dia (top) x 2ft dia (btm) x 2ft long. I do not know how to prune the roots. Please advice.
    I am going to see the tree today. Is there any better choice than palmatum ?
    Thanks for your help!
    Regards,
    Andrzej

5. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

Hi,
    I went to the nursery I got 8t Green leaf Maple instead.
    I was told this type will serve better than the red one...
    Can you help me what type of pot soil I should buy for my pot. Should I put any rocks on the bottom for drainege?

Thanks,
    Andrzej

6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Do a search in this forum, there are many posts on potting soil for maples.
    Gomero

7. Andrzej

Andrzej Active Member

My 8 ft maple is doing OK, there are plenty of leafs on the tree exept on the top.
    I watter the tree regulary every other day. It has a good drainage and I can see wet patio bricks after I watter the the tree right away.
    The top has very little and no leafs just dry sticks (about one foot long).
    What should I do?

Regards,
    Andrzej