"Japanese Maples soil requirements"

Discussion in 'Maples' started by BigBudz, Mar 3, 2012.

1. BigBudz

BigBudz Active Member

Well i got 200 JM red seeds starting in Stratification process right now there going to be ready by may first. so I'm going to Grow them in my raised garden beds I'm building in spring, so ill have to buy soil to fill theses bed, so I'm wondering what type of soils help japanese maples Grow to there fullest potential & makes them really healthy.

So anybody in the Community, who has grown lots of Japanese Maple who has experimented on all different soil types to see the best Outcome of the plants.

Thanks!

2. BigBudz

BigBudz Active Member

nobody ?!? wtf

3. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have grown some seedlings, but I just used ordinary potting soil from the garden center as the medium. Worked fine. Hope that helps.

4. BigBudz

BigBudz Active Member

yeah i was going to use normal micale grow soil, but i was wondering if there's anything that helps them grow to there fullest potential

thanks kaitain for the help

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I use ProMix Organic. The advantage is that it has mychorrizal fungi (that plants need) in the mix. I guess that might be important for new seedlings, since a sterile soil mix would be devoid of beneficial fungi.

6. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I would add some perlite (or suitable alternative) to improve drainage. Other than that, most good quality potting mixes will be fine.